Buffalo cauliflower is popping up on menus everywhere! Now you can make it in the comfort of your own home, the way you want, and for a fraction of the cost with this simple crispy gluten-free buffalo cauliflower recipe.
Most restaurants offer buffalo cauliflower with gluten breading. Let’s face it, it tastes amazing, but for those of us that need to eat gluten-free, it’s just not fair. I still want my buffalo cauliflower, dammit!
I was INCONVENIENTLY diagnosed with an autoimmune disease a few years back and it flares up when I eat gluten, dairy and sugar. In summary, it flares up when I eat anything that tastes amazing!!! Such irony… I recover from an eating disorder and I cannot eat all of the things I want to. WTH?!
It reminds me of the Alanis Morrissette son, Ironic. “A young girl, turns 28, recovers from her eating disorder… and cries the next day…(because she cannot eat all she wants)”.
Okay, I’ll work on that…
My newfound dietary restrictions motivate me to recreate my favorite dishes in a way that I can enjoy them, without sacrificing taste, texture and flavor. Eating is an experience waiting to take place, and that experience should be nothing short of amazing!
This crispy gluten-free buffalo cauliflower recipe is super easy to make, and tasty! My husband loved it too! You don’t need a deep fryer or an air fryer, just a regular ol’ oven will do.
If you are not a fan of buffalo sauce, or someone in your house isn’t, you can make the recipe as follows, and upon baking, toss the cauliflower in any sauce you prefer – BBQ, ranch, sriracha – the sky is the limit folks. I also wrote the recipe this way so you can reheat in an air-fryer without a huge mess, then coat in sauce after.
Crispy Gluten-Free Cauliflower
- conventional or convection oven
- 1 extra large mixing bowl for cauliflower
- 1 small mixing bowl (for egg mixture)
- 1 medium mixing bowl (for gluten-free batter mixture)
- 2 large baking sheets
- parchment paper or foil
- large spoon or salad tongs
- 3 lbs. cauliflower any color you like – about 2 large heads
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dairy-free milk
- 2 eggs or 2 egg replacers
- 1 cup all purpose gluten-free flour (1:1 flour replacement) can use regular flour if not GF
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 2 tsp coarse black pepper
- 1 T sea salt
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil "EVOO"
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 dashes cayenne pepper optional (spicy)
- 1 cup tangy buffalo sauce – I used primal kitchen vegan buffalo sauce (non-dairy)
Prepare the Cauliflower
- Pre-heat conventional oven to 425 degrees, 400 degrees if using convection oven (recommended)
- Wash and cut cauliflower into florets if using whole cauliflower – let drain and set aside in large mixing bowl
- Toss cauliflower in EVOO
- In a small mixing bowl combine egg or egg replacer, milk, 1 tsp. black pepper, 1 tsp. sea salt – whisk well
- Add egg/milk mixture to cauliflower and toss well to coat the cauliflower & set aside
Gluten-Free Batter Preparation
- In medium bowl, combine gluten-free flour, remainder of spices and seasonings and baking soda
- Add flour mixture to cauliflower and toss well using hands or tongs – ensure evenly coated
- Spread cauliflower in a single layer on each parchment or foil-lined baking sheet
- Bake for 20 minutes – then flip – bake another 5-10 minutes to desired crispiness!
- Let cool for a few minutes then toss with buffalo sauce (or your sauce of choice!)
If you like this recipe, please share it and subscribe below for our monthly newsletter full of recipes, inspiration and a splash of humor!