Sundays are my day to make breakfast for the family (I love Sunday mornings!). This Sunday as I lay in bed to the sounds of my 7 month old entertaining himself in his crib, I thought about what I could make. Crepes were the first thing that entered my head! I threw out the suggestion to my husband and he approved; crepes it was.
Growing up my grandma made the best crepes in the world. More often than not, I was right there next to the stove helping her. She is my inspiration for cooking and entertaining and nobody did it better than her. Grandma was Latvian, and sticking to her Latvian roots, many of her recipes contained cream and butter, and lot’s of it.
I often chuckle at the thought of explaining my new plant-based lifestyle to Grandma D. I’m not sure she would understand it. I am 100% sure she would look at me and in her thick Eastern European accent say, “whatever you want, honey”. With that said, the goal I have when cooking for myself and others it to make the same quality foods as Grandma D taught me growing up, but without the animal-based ingredients. Therefore, I developed this quick & easy crepe recipe that tastes just as good as I remember, thanks to plant-based dairy alternatives, and this vegan crepe recipe from The Everyday Veggie as inspiration.
You can fill your crepes with whatever you like. Growing up I filled them with cottage cheese and topped them with sour cream and applesauce for our version of cheese blintzes; those were my favorite. On Sunday I was in the mood for a simple blueberry filling and my husband, being the chocoholic that he is, opted for both blueberries and melted chocolate. Both of us topped our crepes with whipped cream – obviously.
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 3 cups non-dairy milk
- 4 T Egg replacer: Aqua faba (chickpea juice) or 4 T chia gel (chia seed in water (10:1 water to chia ratio) set for 10-20 minutes
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (Enjoy Life has dairy-free chips)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 T organic sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 T coconut or other "mild" cooking oil such as vegetable oil
- 1 T vegan buttery spread ( I like Earth Balance) for cooking + 1 T reserved (for chocolate)
- Add dry ingredients to a medium mixing bowl and stir together
- Add in oil, an egg replacer, then slowly add in milk while stirring until well-combined with no lumps
- Place batter in the fridge for 5 minutes and warm a large skillet to medium heat
- Add a couple tsp of vegan butter spread or oil to the warm skillet and add batter, 2/3 cup at a time, and spread batter in circles until about 10 inches around (so it's thin like a crepe!)
- Cook crepe on one side until bubbles, then flip and cook another minute
- Microwave blueberries on medium high for 2 minutes (power 7) and set aside
- Right before you are going to eat make chocolate spread per below
- Add chocolate chips/chunks to a microwavable dish and add 1 T of vegan buttery spread
- Microwave on power 5 for 50 seconds
- Stir to form a chocolate spread for your crepes (consistency of frosting)
- Once all of the crepes are made spread chocolate and add blueberries and roll up your crepe
- Top with whipped cream
- Serve and enjoy!
- this is a super simple recipe that is great savory or sweet!
made great mothers’ day crepes. subbed out dairy whip cream for coconut cream. rocked!
So glad that you enjoyed the crepe recipe!! Coconut whipped cream is the best!