My husband came home with a bunch of purple potatoes the other day. He was ambitious, but never got to making anything with them. In his defense, he was acting as a single parent while I was traveling for work for 8 straight days! As the iridescent potatoes stared me in the face this morning, I thought, “why not make some breakfast potatoes with these bad boys?”. So, that is exactly what I did. As I started to chop I thought, “why not write a purple breakfast potato recipe while I’m at it?” So, that is exactly what I am doing!
We love breakfast potatoes at our house, but purple breakfast potatoes are a first. When making breakfast or skillet potatoes, I usually just toss in whatever I have on hand and, boom, out comes a delicious dish. This morning I had a sweet onion, an excess of jalapenos, fresh garlic and the usual spices on hand. This recipe is perfect for a weekend brunch for 4 but is also great as a savory side dish at dinnertime. I have a confession. I ate about 4 cups of this immediately after they were finished cooking. Hey! I was hungry! My husband got one small bowl 🙂
I opted to use a cast iron skillet for this recipe and recommend using one as well. If you do not have a cast iron skillet, go buy one! They are amazing for roasting vegetables in and you can even make desserts in them! However, a traditional skillet will also work.
- 5 medium purple potatoes (or any potato, but purple are more fun!)
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion
- 2 cloves of garlic - pressed
- 1/4 cup EVOO
- 2 tsp sea salt
- Few dashes fresh black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1.5 T fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2-1 med jalapeno (optional and depends on how much heat you want! 1 jalapeno is pretty spicy, but quite tasty)
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Vegan sour cream
- Coat cast iron skillet with olive oil - use regular fry pan if do not have cast iron
- Dice purple potatoes into cubes - about 1/2 inch
- Dice onion into small chunks
- Add potatoes, salt, pepper and pressed garlic to pan and cook on med-high for 5 minutes, meanwhile tossing the potatoes and garlic in olive oil
- Add in onion and continue to toss and cook on high for 10 minutes
- Reduce heat to medium
- Add fresh squeeze lemon juice and continue to cook and toss
- Add finely diced jalapeno and toss (optional)
- Continually tossing, add in remainder of seasonings and a few extra pinches of salt and continue to cook on medium for 3-5 minutes on one side, so potatoes get browned and then flip and cook another 3-5 minutes on the other side
- Increase heat to high and continue to toss and when potatoes are nicely browned and cooked through
- Add the apple cider vinegar and toss, this will help deglaze the pan (less clean up) and add extra flavor to the potatoes!
- Toss and cook for a couple more minutes until thoroughly cooked and browned
- Serve with a side of sour cream - yum!
- *Be sure to use a pot holder or towel when cooking on a cast iron skillet - they get HOT!
Wow. I have never eaten a purple potato before either. Will try it tomorrow. Thank you for being so inovative!