This is hands down on of the best vegan chocolate dessert recipes that I have every made (and eaten). I originally wrote this for Valentine’s Day, but it is great any day of the week. The recipe is also completely dairy-free, which means it is lactose free and cholesterol free, so it doesn’t harm your body or give you indigestion. I don’t know about you, but I don’t like to feel like I have an inflated balloon in my stomach after I eat (this is what dairy does to yours truly).
I’ve seen some vegan chocolate dessert recipes online that look so incredibly tasty, rich and indulgent and then I sift through the ingredients or worse actually make the dessert to find it tastes like cardboard because the creator is trying to make the dessert “healthy”. Well, let me tell you friends. I did not create this chocolaty dessert to be healthy or to skimp on flavor or texture. I created it for a special treat. Who doesn’t need a special treat every now and again?
When I want sink my teeth into a rich, chocolatey, creamy and dreamy dessert, I don’t want it to taste like crap and quite frankly I am not counting the calories! So, you have my word that this dessert tastes as good as it looks, maybe better!
I recommend breaking this recipe down into three steps. Step one is to make the dark chocolate mousse recipe (link below). Step two is make the whipped coconut cream (link below) and let it chill in your fridge while you make the other layers. It may seem complicated, but trust me, it is not and it is WELL WORTH IT!!!! Your non dairy-free friends will gobble it right up too! Make this a day in advance as the pie needs to chill for at least 5 hours.
Double Dark Chocolate Dream Pie Recipe aka “the best vegan chocolate dessert recipe ever”
Adapted from Chocolate Covered Kate’s “Sex in a Pan” recipe
Dairy Free, Vegan, Gluten Free*
Prep time: 20 minutes + 5 hours to chill
- 1/2 cup salted pretzels
- 1/4 tsp salt
- few dashes of cinnamon + more for later
- 1/3 cup quick oats*
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 8 oz plain cream cheese-style spread, such as Daiya Cream Cheese
- 1 T maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar (buy organic if want to keep vegan)
- 2/3 cup coconut cream (just the cream, not any water that might be in the can)
- 1 1/2 cups any thick chocolate pudding (click here for recipe)
- whipped coconut cream (click here for recipe)
- dark chocolate chips (Enjoy Life has great dairy-free chocolate chips)
- Make the chocolate mousse and let chill covered in fridge
- Make whipped coconut cream and let chill covered in fridge
- Line an 8-in square pan with parchment or wax paper
- In a food processor, combine first five ingredients, then press into the bottom of the prepared pan to form a crust
- In a blender, cream the next five ingredients together until smooth, then spread over the crust
- Spread the chocolate pudding on top
- Spread a layer of the coconut whipped cream on top of the chocolate pudding
- Dash a few sprinkles of cinnamon, add some dark chocolate chips and let chill uncovered for at least 5 hours before serving
*To guarantee this recipe is free of gluten you must purchase oats that are not cross-contaminated with wheat such as Bob’s Redmill.