Not all ice cream is created equal. In fact, some forms of ice cream are naturally cholesterol and lactose free. That is, when you use creamy coconut milk as the base of your ice cream recipe and omit any type of dairy. While many of the store bought dairy free and coconut milk ice creams are great, they often contain added binders and unnecessary ingredients (gums, refined sugars). I like to eat as clean as possible, but still enjoy a tasty treat every once and a while. This creamy coconut milk ice cream recipe has just a few ingredients and contains zero refined sugars. It’s also extremely easy to make!
Do I have a treat for you!
I decided to dust off the ol’ Kitchen Aid mixer. You know the one that I begged my husband to let me add to our wedding registry but have used three times in the past five years of marriage? Yeah, that one! If you don’t have a Kitchen Aid or an ice cream attachment, I would say it’s worth the investment. Or, heck, just borrow one from a married friend 🙂
Turns out making your own ice cream is really easy. It’s also less expensive then buying it at the store and can be kept for months in your freezer for ease and convenience, which is great. If you’re anything like me the cravings for something creamy and sweet strikes at the strangest times! You know at 9 pm while in the midst of binge watching Orange Is the New Black?
It’s time to cure your sweet and creamy cravings once and for all!
This recipe was inspired by a recent trip to a cherry orchard, paired with intense cravings (see above) for cool, creamy ice cream and a gift of Patron XO from my mother. Feel free to swap out any inclusions that I used (black cherries, chocolate chunks, liquor) for your own favorites. But if you like spiked chocolate and cherries, then follow this tasty recipe below.
Creamy Coconut Milk Ice Cream Recipe + Dark Chocolate liquor + Sweet Black Cherries
Vegan, Soy Free, Gluten Free
Makes 1 quart of delicious coconut milk ice cream
Prep Time: 1 day (only bc you need to chill the coconut milk)
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 13.5 oz (standard size) can of full fat coconut milk (will be a lot creamier than lite coconut milk) Deal with the fat!! its good fat!
- 1 13.5 oz can of lite coconut milk
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp bourbon Madagascar vanilla
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup + 1.5 T
- 2 T Patron XO cafe Dark or Kahlua Chocolate Liquor
- 1 cup halved or whole black cherries
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chunks
- Chill cans of coconut overnight (do not skip this step or the next)
- Chill ice cream maker bowl for 24 hours
- Add both cans of coconut to medium mixing bowl
- Add in vanilla, salt, liquor and maple syrup
- Stir in chocolate chunks and cherries
- Assemble mixer with ice cream attachment and start the “stir function” (a simple guide to using your mixer is here ( I needed to use it!) )
- Slowly add in the ice cream batter and let stir for 20-30 minutes or until desired texture
*tip don’t use metal on your ice cream maker…. it will damage it! use a rubber scraper
What flavors do you enjoy in your coconut milk ice cream?