When I first heard about scrambled tofu I was skeptical. I didn’t try it for the longest time. Then, while in LA dining at one of my favorite vegan brunch spots, Real Food Daily, I decided to give the scrambled tofu a shot. What can I say? I was pleasantly surprised. The texture was a great alternative to eggs and the nutritional profile was even better. I gobbled them up so fast I forgot I was eating tofu!
Eggs have a lot of protein, that is one reason people enjoy them, but eggs also have cholesterol and tofu does not. Did you know that eggs are laid when hens have their period? Yep! I recently learned that on a trip to Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary! Makes sense when you think about it.
You may be thinking, tofu!? Really? Tofu is made of soy and soy is bad! Well, not all soy is created equal. When cooking with soy, be sure to buy organic soy products, including your tofu. When you buy organic, that ensures that your soy is not genetically modified. Tofu is simply soy bean curd and is a great way for plant lovers to get an extra kick of protein!
This recipe can easily be made into a scrumptious breakfast burrito as well. See the asterisk at the end of the post for simple steps and suggestions. Now let’s get to the recipe!
Quick and easy scrambled tofu recipe
- 1, 14 oz. package, organic extra firm tofu, drained
- 1/4 sweet yellow onion diced
- 1 bell pepper (any color) diced
- 1/4 jalapeno finely diced (omit if you don’t like spicy foods)
- 2 tsp. ground turmeric or few saffron threads (for color and extra health benefits)
- dash of sea salt
- dash of cracked pepper
- 1/4 cup medium heat salsa
- 2 tsp. olive oil plus 1 T. for pan
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 3 tsp. chile powder blend
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 large avocado
- 1 8 oz. package Daiya Shredded cheddar style cheese
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Drain tofu and place in large bowl
- Crumble tofu with hands so it looks like the consistency of scrambled eggs
- Add tofu to a medium size mixing bowl and set aside
- Chop and dice all ingredients accordingly
- Add turmeric, cracked pepper, sea salt, chili powder blend, ground cumin, 2 tsp. olive oil and salsa to tofu mixture and mix lightly
- Add diced veggies and stir lightly
- Bring skillet to medium heat
- Add garlic and olive oil to heated skillet and saute
- Immediately add the tofu mixture to the skillet
- Let cook for a five or so minutes, scrambling regularly until light and fluffy
- Garnish, serve and enjoy
- *See tip below on how to make this scrambled tofu into a crave worthy breakfast burrito in no time!
* Want to make this into a simple breakfast burrito? All you have to do is get a large tortilla of your liking, fill the delicious scrambled tofu into the tortilla shell, add some Daiya shredded cheese, black beans, fresh cilantro and salsa, wrap up in burrito fashion and put on heated skillet for a few minutes until Daiya cheese is melted. Remove and enjoy!
Do you have a love-hate relationship with scrambled tofu? Drop me a line!