Baba Ghanoush is one of those dishes that I have always bought and never taken the time to explore just how easy it actually is to make at home. Turns out is it simple as can be and it tastes like a thousand times better than it does when purchased at the store. This easy Baba Ghanoush recipe is just that, easy. You start with a whole eggplant, slice it, put it on a pan with some oil and salt, throw it in the oven and puree it with some more oil and lemon juice and BAM you have yourself a super fresh, homemade, Baba Ghanoush that you can brag to your friends about.
You’ll notice (or maybe you won’t) that I have omitted the tahini. This is because I didn’t have sesame seeds at home, but had an eggplant getting sad. It’s still just as delicious, and even easier, because of omitting the tahini! Turns out that babies also really like this tasty, nutrient-dense, recipe as well. Since this recipe suggests that you leave the skin on, it is packed with antioxidants and is also great for brain health.
- 1 medium eggplant
- Coarse sea salt
- 1.5 tsp Lemon or Lime Juice
- 1 T plus 1 tsp EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika or marash chili flake (optional)
- Preheat oven to 525 - or broil setting
- Slice eggplant into thin strips
- Lay flat on 2 sheet pans and drizzle EVOO on top and sprinkle lightly with coarse sea salt
- Bake for 10 minutes then flip
- Bake for another 8 minutes and remove from oven
- Place in a stack in foil and let sit for 5 minutes to absorb moisture
- Place in small blender or food processor with EVOO, lemon or lime juice, smoked paprika/marash and blend until smooth and creamy
- Sprinkle marash on top and serve with sliced cucumbers, pita bread and tomatoes
- Omit the skin if you'd like it creamier!