Someone recently asked me what my favorite dessert was. That’s not an easy question to answer as there are so many options! I thought long and hard and after narrowing it down to Pumpkin Pie, Cannolis and French Silk Pie, French Silk Pie won out. I grew up going to Baker’s Square with my grandma and more often than not, I ended the meal with a big slice of French Silk Pie. It was delicious. As I got older, the frequent visits to Baker’s Square with grandma came to a halt and I stopped getting that slice of pie I loved so much as a kid.
Today I try to avoid dairy (including mass produced eggs) as much as possible, so I came up with this simple dairy-free version of French Silk Pie that I took to my in-laws for Thanksgiving dinner. They loved it and definitely do not eat vegan (or anywhere close to it!). As usual, don’t let the word vegan scare you away – it just means that there are no eggs or milk/cream in this French Silk Pie recipe. Instead I substituted a vegetarian chocolate pudding mix, used dairy-free mini chocolate chips and coconut whipped cream on top of a homemade graham cracker and oat crust recipe (sub in vegan margarine for butter). If there are any people in your family that are lactose intolerant or allergic to eggs or milk, they will also appreciate this easy vegan French Silk Pie recipe. It’s a perfect dessert to bring for your next Holiday dinner party. I will be making it again for Christmas!
- 2-3.5 oz packages of organic (vegetarian) chocolate pudding mix (find at Whole Foods)
- 3 cups almond or coconut milk (fuller fat best)
- 1/2 cup mini dairy-free chocolate chips (Enjoy Life brand can be found at Whole Foods)
- 1.5- 2 cups Coconut Whipped Cream (store bought - So Delicious (one container) or homemade using my easy 5 minute recipe found on this site)
- 1 prepared 9 inch graham cracker + oat crust (or crust of your choice)
- Prepare graham cracker crust according to directions (if making yourself)
- Prepare chocolate pudding mix according to directions, but reducing milk to 3 cups total
- Stir in 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips once pudding starts to thicken
- Let pudding cool completely
- If making your own coco whipped cream - prepare that while pudding mix is cooling
- Fill pie crust with pudding mixture
- Freeze or let set in fridge for at least 4 hours prior to serving
- Top generously with coconut whipped cream (may need to beat whipped cream right before topping so it's light and fluffy)
- Sprinkle top with a little sugar, the remainder of mini chocolate chips and a dash of cinnamon if desired
- Freeze if using at later date or refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving
- *Can use gluten free crust to make this vegan and gluten-free - if making crust from scratch sub in gluten free grahams (found at Whole Foods) for regular grahams.