If you are like my family, when we hear the words “allergen-friendly and “dessert” in one sentence it sends a shiver down our spines. When we think of dessert, we think of rich, creamy textures and pure indulgence. We do not think of diet food or food without flavor.
Finding out that I was severely lactose intolerant at a young age put a damper on things. Luckily the convenient dessert options that happen to be allergen-friendly and dairy-free are much improved since the late 90’s. And trust me, I’ve tried them all. If you are one of the nearly 100 million Americans who are lactose intolerant you can relate! If you avoid soy, watch your cholesterol or cannot digest gluten you will also appreciate this roundup.
This list of five ready to eat allergen-friendly desserts are eaten on a regular basis at our home. When guests come over, we are confident serving each of these options given they are full of flavor, have great texture and are truly an indulgence (but without the awful side effects). Each dessert is also extremely easy to dress up and “make your own” to wow your guests. As a bonus, just about everyone can eat them!
5 allergen friendly desserts free of soy, eggs, gluten and dairy
1. Daiya gluten and dairy free cheeszcakes: Free of soy, dairy, eggs, casein and gluten, but definitely not free of flavor. Everyone can eat Daiya’s new deliciously dairy-free cheezecakes. Even your pals that are lactose intolerant. But shhh you don’t need to tell the dairy-free haters in the group. They will never know! Available in four flavors: New York, Strawberry, Chocolate and Key Lime (Key Lime and Chocolate available at Whole Foods). Super easy to dress this up for your guests in under 5 minutes with some fresh berries, dairy-free chocolate chips and coconut whipped cream.
2. So Delicious Snickerdoodle Ice Cream and Cookie Dough coconut milk ice cream varieties: Dairy, gluten and soy free yet so good that So Delicious lands two spots on the allergen-friendly dessert list. These are a staple at our home. Try creating a build-your-own sundae bar at home with So Delicious’ great variety of dairy-free ice creams!
3. Ciao Bella Sorbettos: Sicilian Blood Orange and Coconut Sorbetto are great individually or eaten together for a dreamy treat. Remember enjoying dreamcicles as a kid? Dress these up with a sprig of fresh mint and a pretty serving dish or add on top of your favorite homemade allergen friendly dessert, such as this blackberry lattice pie recipe.
4. Hail Merry Persian Lime Miracle Tart: It truly is a miracle that this tart tastes SO GOOD!!! Free of dairy, soy and gluten and is completely raw for Pete’s sake! Dress this up with some fresh berries and coconut whipped cream.
5. Natures Path Chocolate Coco Chimps: Cereal can be eaten as a dessert, right? Free of high fructose corn syrup and is gluten and wheat free. Great for the entire family morning, noon or night.