Get your mind out of the gutter people! These balls are edible, sweet, decadent and full of rich dark chocolate with a “cookie ganache” center. Today I am happy to share my vegan Oreo balls recipe with all of you. What’s even better is there are two tasty twists on this recipe and it takes basically no effort at all to make!
The original version includes a dark chocolate covered chocolate cookie center (that’s a lot of chocolate!), which mimics a ganache of sorts. The second vegan Oreo balls version is the classic flavor combination of dark chocolate and strawberry. The texture of these tasty treats will blow your mind, hence, they are the tastiest balls you will ever put in your mouth. I guarantee it.
What makes these Oreo balls vegan is the use of Daiya’s new delicious dairy and soy free cream cheese. I use one package of the plain for the double chocolate balls and one of the strawberry for the dark chocolate covered strawberry version. The Daiya cream cheese is made with fresh-frozen California grown strawberries that you can see and taste in each bite
Vegan Dark Chocolate Oreo Balls Recipe Done Two Ways
Dairy Free, *Vegan
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Yield: Around 30 tasty balls
- 1 Trader Joe’s branded dark chocolate bar 17.6 oz
- 1 16 oz package, each, chocolate Oreo and one vanilla Oreo sandwich cookies (generic versions work too)
- 2 T coconut oil
- 1- 8 oz tub Daiya dairy-free plain Cream Cheese (find at Whole Foods or local grocer)
- 1 -8 oz tub Daiya dairy-free strawberry Cream Cheese
1. Mash each flavor of cookie in it’s entirety in 2 large separate bowls until fine
2. Add 1-8 oz package of Daiya dairy-free plain cream cheese and mix
3. Once well mixed, use your hands and form into a large ball
4. Hand roll the Oreo “batter” into 2 inch diameter balls and place on foil or ideally wax paper
5. Heat med size pot of water to act as double boiler (because who has one of those!??) or get double boiler going and bring water to a boil
6. Add chocolate to the “double boiler” once water is boiling
7. Add 1 T of coconut oil and melt the ENTIRE bar of dark chocolate (which is dairy free) on double boiler until smooth and creamy
8. Add another 1 T of coconut oil into dark chocolate to make consistency like a candy coating
9. Stir often until melted
10. Now it’s time to coat the balls in chocolate (sounds kind of kinky)
11. Carefully place each ball into the chocolate with a slotted spoon
12.Generously coat and place on wax paper or foil
13. Repeat until all balls are coated
14. Let rest until cool (about 10-15 minutes)
15. Place coated balls on cookie sheets and in freezer for 20 minutes to chill
16. Keep stored in the fridge and enjoy!
Dark Chocolate Covered Strawberry Oreo balls Recipe
Repeat steps above with vanilla sandwich cookies and substitute in strawberry Daiya cream cheese for the plain Daiya cream cheese. It’s as simple as pie!
The perfect compliment to vegan Oreo balls is whipped cream!!!
*Oreos contain refined white sugar which may not technically be fully vegan since most refined sugar is refined, or whitened, using bone char